Monday, July 5, 2010

Not Your Average: Thrifty And Proud Of It!

In March, the Huffington Post wrote an article entitled "43% of Americans Have Less Than 10K For Retirement". The article went on to say that the recent economic downturn has caused more American workers to cut back on retirement savings in just the last year. About a year ago, Visual Economics put together a very interesting diagram, "How the Average U.S. Consumer Spends Their Paycheck". The diagram shows that when the percentage spent on food and the percentage spent on entertainment are totaled, they become the second largest expenditure for the average American household. While Americans spend 5.4% on entertainment, only 1.9% is spent on education and 0.2% is spent on reading. There seemed to be no category at all for saving in this diagram. For a closer look at this article check out this link. http://www.visualeconomics.com/how-the-average-us-consumer-spends-their-paycheck/
My goal in keeping this blog is to inspire you to become better than the average American, to be thrifty, look at how you spend money and save anywhere you can. I have been inspired and encouraged on so many fronts to change my habits and begin to become a better saver. Russel Peter, a comedian, recently joked that while many nationalities are so proud of being cheap and thrifty, Americans seem to be some of the only ones wanting to be known for how much they can spend! I am determined to become an above average saving American that is thrifty and proud of it!

4 comments:

  1. Great first post, Babe! I look forward to reading more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! I've been thinking alot about this lately too, especially with feeding 10 people in my house right now (6 of them boys). It will be nice to see your ideas. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my hubby would say we spend more on books than the average American by far! I am looking forward to seeing your next post. My pet peeve in the area of frugality is buying water. I give my kids a "deposit" for any bottle they have washed and refill, since I do not always have control over the buying of the first bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll definitely be posting about grocery savings
    Rebecca. Hopefully it will help! That is a big crowd you are buying for! Yes, buying bottled water is one of the biggest wastes! I can't believe how many years I bought bottles of water every week instead of refilling!! I like the deposit idea!

    ReplyDelete